FLOTSAM & JETSAM: Diversity at Harvard in the 1950s

Thursday, June 10, 2021

Diversity at Harvard in the 1950s

 

 From our overstocked archives. This was a follow up to an essay about my time at Harvard in the 1950s.

Sam Smith - Re my piece on Harvard, a reader asked about women and blacks. Some notes:
 
The Harvard student body was diverse by the standards of the 1950s, which is to say mainly that there was a rough parity between white male public and white male private school graduates. All the states were represented; there were foreign students, athletes, seminal scientists and so forth. There were Jews and even a handful of blacks. Harvard's job was to turn them all into Harvard men.
 
Women who were in every one of my classes were still non-persons of the Harvard Class of '59 because they were students of Radcliffe rather than of Harvard College. After all, one of the privileges of Harvard was to note only that which it wished to see. The worst thing that could happen to a Harvard student, in the eyes of Harvard, was that he be "expunged." The university simply denied he was ever in attendance.
 
I was reminded of this when I was on the Harvard sailing team and was censured and lost my first place in a race after a formal hearing by the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Assn. My sin: I had used a Radcliffe student as my crew.
 
Thirty years after she graduated in 1962, New York politician Elizabeth Holtzman would say, "Nobody protested. We didn't know yet what was unfair. I felt privileged to be getting a Harvard education." A New York Times article the year of her graduation said that "Radcliffe girls," like those from other women's colleges, "don't do much of anything beyond marrying and raising children." The article was written by a Harvard man. And in another NY Times piece, Peggy Schmertzler of the Radcliffe class of 1953 recalled, "I remember the deans' telling us an educated person made the best mother. . . She could sing French songs to her children."
 
And the aforementioned Dean F Skiddy von Stade said once: "When I see the bright, well-educated, but relatively dull housewives who attended the Seven Sisters, I honestly shudder at the thought of changing the balance of males versus females at Harvard. Quite simply, I do not see highly educated women making startling strides in contributing to our society in the foreseeable future. They are not, in my opinion, going to stop getting married and/or having children. They will fail in their present role as women if they do."
 
On the other hand, many of the Cliffies held their own. One of the stories told was of the professor chiding a woman student for knitting in class. "Knitting," he said, "is a repressed form of masturbation." Replied the student, "When I knit, I knit. When I masturbate, I masturbate."
 
As for the first woman professor to get tenure at Harvard, Cora Du Bois, see here