FLOTSAM & JETSAM: Some tunes for a DC musical

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Some tunes for a DC musical

Sam & Kathy Smith, along with Becky Brown, wrote a musical revue of DC history that was performed by the Capitol Hill Arts Workshop in 1978. It featured Jim Vance as Frederic Douglass and a 1950s beat poet. Also included was a soft shoe dance by Boss Shepherd : "I'm the boss; I'm the boss of Washington. . . I can force anything that I want done. . . I can pave a street or plant a tree or put a gas lamp up. . . So what does it matter if I'm a little bit corrupt." The Washington Times listed the show as one of the "Sure Things" for the week. Mayor Marion Barry attended one performance Unfortunately, no recording was made, but years later Sam made a rough recording of some of the tunes for a curiuous reporter.

CLICK HERE